zip files instead of 7zip

Website, builds, or other suggestions.
Post Reply
rogerdpack
Posts: 1877
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:56 pm

zip files instead of 7zip

Post by rogerdpack » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:59 am

Until there is a "one click distributable"...

it might be kinder to "lay users" to provide .zip files [instead of, or as well as 7z files]. Since they're more easily understood by typical users [windows has built-in support for them, etc.]
Also in the README file maybe mention "this is a command line utility, to use it, open a command prompt window, cd to the "bin" folder in your unzipped distro, then run ffmpeg, you can test that it's working by running
c:\<your_folder_name_here>\bin>ffplay -f lavfi -i testsrc

Or its like.
Anyway, just throwing it out there.
Cheers!
-roger-

svnpenn
Posts: 263
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:19 am

Re: zip files instead of 7zip

Post by svnpenn » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:41 pm

In my opinion the only product that should come as a ".zip", is 7-Zip itself.
Once you have that you need not and should not be using ".zip".

All due respect but it is this backward way of thinking that has allowed ".zip"
to persist for so long. Here are some numbers, for science!

64-bit static 7z
12.0 MB

64-bit static zip
36.1 MB

Now, are you really advocating a 200% increase in file size, for the lazy users?
Respect to Zeranoe.

Side note, merge my PR please, or make me "Collaborator"
github.com/rdp/faster_require/pull/43

rogerdpack
Posts: 1877
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:56 pm

Re: zip files instead of 7zip

Post by rogerdpack » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:12 pm

svnpenn wrote:In my opinion the only product that should come as a ".zip", is 7-Zip itself.
Once you have that you need not and should not be using ".zip".

All due respect but it is this backward way of thinking that has allowed ".zip"
to persist for so long. Here are some numbers, for science!

64-bit static 7z
12.0 MB

64-bit static zip
36.1 MB

Now, are you really advocating a 200% increase in file size, for the lazy users?
Respect to Zeranoe.

Side note, merge my PR please, or make me "Collaborator"
github.com/rdp/faster_require/pull/43
Yeah, unfortunately lay users still use normal zip files. A real exe would be even better.
Anyway I think I made a collaborator, try and merge that request in :)

svnpenn
Posts: 263
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:19 am

Re: zip files instead of 7zip

Post by svnpenn » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:29 pm

rogerdpack wrote: Yeah, unfortunately lay users still use normal zip files. A real exe would be
even better.
I would be okay with an EXE, but I feel the current way he is doing it, while
some curve for noobs, is the best.
rogerdpack wrote: Anyway I think I made a collaborator, try and merge that request in :)
Yes working! Cheers!

Post Reply
'