customized name

Website, builds, or other suggestions.
rogerdpack

customized name

Post by rogerdpack » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:14 pm

might be nice to customize the "ffmpeg version" as well...

ffmpeg version N-43060-ga85b4a5-zeranoe

or something, to make it easier to tell, from online console outputs, whether they're using a build from this distro or not (i.e. a custom build...).
Just a thought.
Thanks!
-roger-

rogerdpack

Re: customized name

Post by rogerdpack » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:10 pm

./configure --extra-version perhaps?

Zeranoe
Site Admin

Post by Zeranoe » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:05 pm

rogerdpack wrote:might be nice to customize the "ffmpeg version" as well...

ffmpeg version N-43060-ga85b4a5-zeranoe

or something, to make it easier to tell, from online console outputs, whether they're using a build from this distro or not (i.e. a custom build...).
Just a thought.
Thanks!
-roger-
I've found that the Windows users get more help from the devs if they don't know that the build was compiled for Windows. The devs seem to abandon any thread opened for Windows, so that’s the reason I hide a lot of info with the compile I do (such as cross prefix).

Most of the time the bugs are not specifically related to Windows and are often on FFmpeg's end, so I believe they should not be disregarded as "Windows bugs".

ramiro

Post by ramiro » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:16 am

Zeranoe wrote:I've found that the Windows users get more help from the devs if they don't know that the build was compiled for Windows. The devs seem to abandon any thread opened for Windows, so that’s the reason I hide a lot of info with the compile I do (such as cross prefix).
Oh, so that's why you hide cross-prefix. That's a really good idea. Back in my time, if you mentioned Windows, not only would you not get any help, you would get flamed. I see they have improved then =)

oviano

Post by oviano » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:55 pm

Old thread I know but I'm just starting out learning how to cross build ffmpeg, working up from scratch and I'd like to know how I can hide things like the cross prefix from the banner shown when ffmpeg launches?

Does it require customising the configure file for ffmpeg or is there some option I'm missing?

In my build I only want it to show the useful settings i.e. which encoders it has enabled, that sort of thing.

Thanks!

rogerdpack

Post by rogerdpack » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:33 pm

yeah I think you manually modify it after configure, though never tried it myself...

oviano

Post by oviano » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:21 pm

Yep, the following lines do the trick:

>>>>>

$ config="--enable-gpl --enable-whatever-else-you-want-to-display"
$ mv config.h config_temp.h
$ cat config_temp.h | sed "s/^.*#define FFMPEG_CONFIGURATION.*$/#define FFMPEG_CONFIGURATION \"$config\"/" > config.h

<<<<<

'