Windows XP compatible non-SSE2 FFmpeg builds

Announcements made by users.
SynDra

Re: Windows XP compatible non-SSE2 FFmpeg builds

Post by SynDra »

I'll try this when I go to work tomorrow tomorrow. I've been trying to get ffmpeg built on XP SP2 for weeks (due to customer systems still using SP2), I gave up in the end... You would have saved my ass if it works! :o
Thanks, Amy.

Assinfire

Post by Assinfire »

manolito wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:43 am
So I would lobby for bringing back libXviD in the next build...
Isn't native ffmpeg encoder called "mpeg4" (-c:v mpeg4) able to do the same thing as libXviD?

manolito

Post by manolito »

Yes, pretty much, but for some encodes I do see a difference in quality.

From trac.ffmpeg:
Both encoders should provide a similar output, but for lower bitrates/quality (e.g. 1000 kBit/s for 720p content), libxvid will deliver better quality than mpeg4

SynDra

Post by SynDra »

Hey, so I have managed to get it working with my XP SP2 platform, so big thanks for you help! However it seems as though when running in debug I have no problems but in release I start getting dll's not finding their entry points.

I am using SFML which is where the entry point failure comes from. Without ffmpeg everything is fine, but as soon as I link to ffmpeg the problem starts.

Anyone any ideas?
Thanks
Amy

SynDra

Post by SynDra »

Hey all, I've noticed that the file size of all the dlls are 3 times the size of the ones I have used previous(ones that were not XP compatible), is it possible that these dll's are debug builds not release thus why I can only on debug config?
Amy

Reino

Post by Reino »

manolito wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:17 am
Assinfire wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:06 pm
Isn't native ffmpeg encoder called "mpeg4" (-c:v mpeg4) able to do the same thing as libXviD?
Yes, pretty much, but for some encodes I do see a difference in quality.
https://github.com/rdp/ffmpeg-windows-b ... -292819242:
I've just done 2 quick XviD encodes on a 640x480 video sample. One with -c:v mpeg4 -vtag xvid -b:v 1000k, the other with -c:v libxvid -b:v 1000k.
You can see right away that libxvid produces a better result than mpeg4.
manolito wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:43 am
So I would lobby for bringing back libXviD in the next build...
I didn't think many people would still encode to XviD. If you really need it, then ok.
For the time being you can use the previous build of course.
SynDra wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:13 pm
Hey, so I have managed to get it working with my XP SP2 platform, so big thanks for you help! However it seems as though when running in debug I have no problems but in release I start getting dll's not finding their entry points.
Your welcome. I don't know what SFML is, but all I can say is that in order to use the libfdk-aac audio encoder and frei0r video-filters you need the dlls found in 'libfdk-aac-<version-string>-win32-xpmod-sse.7z' and 'frei0r-plugins-<version-string>-win32-xpmod-sse.7z'.
FFmpeg works perfectly without these dlls if you don't use them, but I don't know about your program.
SynDra wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:49 pm
I've noticed that the file size of all the dlls are 3 times the size of the ones I have used previous(ones that were not XP compatible), is it possible that these dll's are debug builds not release thus why I can only on debug config?
I don't know which ones you used previously, but I can assure you that the FFmpeg shared variant as well as the "other downloads" dlls have their debugging symbols stripped.

manolito

Post by manolito »

Reino wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:29 pm
I didn't think many people would still encode to XviD. If you really need it, then ok.
For the time being you can use the previous build of course.
Oh sure, folks using ancient computers under WinXP will probably also use ancient video formats like XviD... :geek:

I did a couple more tests replacing libxvid with mpeg4, and in many cases the video quality is quite different. My main reason for using libxvid is WinFF. There are several dozens of profiles which use libxvid, and I would like to keep these profiles. XVideo Recode which is quite popular also uses libxvid extensively.

So I already switched back to the previous FFmpeg version from Aug 2019, there is really nothing I miss with this version.

Cheers
manolito

SynDra

Post by SynDra »

Hi Reino,
Thanks for your reply, ok I'll have another look then, Im not sure why the dll's i had previously are so much smaller, or why my project only works in debug.
If I find anything out i'll post my results.
Amy.

SynDra

Post by SynDra »

Hey everyone, thanks again for your support! I did get it working in the end on release mode, if anyone was curious about the fix, in my linker settings I had to change linker->optimisation tab->References from Yes(/OPT:REF) to No(/OPT:NOREF).
:-*
Amy

manolito

Post by manolito »

Another request for re-adding an FFmpeg library which has been removed in the latest builds:

I recently tried some HDR to SDR conversions in FFmpeg. Most of the methods I found use libzimg for this, and the quality is much better than just using LUTs. So please include libzimg in the next release again...

Cheers
manolito