legal use of ffmpeg

Anything that does not fit into the other categories.
Post Reply
sporn
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:51 am

legal use of ffmpeg

Post by sporn » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:56 am

first of all - wow, never found a forum that's so hard to join, must have got 10 wrong answers before it finally let me in - probably a good idea to check your questions!

I've stumbled across this:

http://rtsp-rtmp-directshow-source-sdk- ... /download/#

- that uses the ffmpeg libraries as probably 90% of it's functionality. They're selling it for $1450 here: http://www.datastead.com/purchase.html

don't think that's legal is it?!

User avatar
Zeranoe
Site Admin
Posts: 703
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 7:12 pm
Contact:

Re: legal use of ffmpeg

Post by Zeranoe » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:42 am

sporn wrote:first of all - wow, never found a forum that's so hard to join, must have got 10 wrong answers before it finally let me in - probably a good idea to check your questions!

I've stumbled across this:

http://rtsp-rtmp-directshow-source-sdk- ... /download/#

- that uses the ffmpeg libraries as probably 90% of it's functionality. They're selling it for $1450 here: http://www.datastead.com/purchase.html

don't think that's legal is it?!
First of all, the forum is not hard to join, the questions are correct and the answers are easy to find.

It is the best way to cut down on spam, which is a very real problem for phpBB boards.

As far as the legality of the software you found, they can legally sell a software program that uses FFmpeg in it's base. As long as they comply with the LGPL and FFmpeg is compiled under LGPL.

At least that is the way I understand it, if anyone knows more I welcome them to share.

sporn
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:51 am

Re: legal use of ffmpeg

Post by sporn » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:37 am

"what's the latest build for mingGW-w64"?

2.8.4 (from http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/blog/)

...wrong!

anyway, that software isn't lgpl, it's a commercial program that they don't provide the sourcecode for

rogerdpack
Posts: 1876
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:56 pm

Re: legal use of ffmpeg

Post by rogerdpack » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:50 pm

under the lgpl, they only have to release the source of ffmpeg "if they change ffmpeg's source codes itself" which, if they're using libav, they might not have done, so they wouldn't have to release any source.

User avatar
Zeranoe
Site Admin
Posts: 703
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 7:12 pm
Contact:

Re: legal use of ffmpeg

Post by Zeranoe » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:52 pm

sporn wrote:"what's the latest build for mingGW-w64"?

2.8.4 (from http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/blog/)

...wrong!
I don't really understand what your trying say? The script doesn't build the latest packages, but a 3.0 build script is complete and will include the latest. It is currently being tested by myself and a few others.

Check the blog for the release soon.
sporn wrote:anyway, that software isn't lgpl, it's a commercial program that they don't provide the sourcecode for
Read what rogerdpack said:
rogerdpack wrote:under the lgpl, they only have to release the source of ffmpeg "if they change ffmpeg's source codes itself" which, if they're using libav, they might not have done, so they wouldn't have to release any source.
He is correct, so that software might not be breaking the LGPL as long as the source code for FFmpeg isn't modified, and the rest of their software follows the LGPL.

ramiro
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 12:56 am

Re: legal use of ffmpeg

Post by ramiro » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:14 pm

in 99.999% of cases they don't release source code. send them an e-mail asking for ffmpeg source code, if they don't reply, file a but report in ffmpeg's issue tracker with their information. a couple of years ago the sflc was taking care of some of those issues, but I don't know how it works anymore...

FFMPEGuser31
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:40 am

Re: legal use of ffmpeg

Post by FFMPEGuser31 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:14 am

Hey developer(s) and admin(s),

i have a similar question....i opened a new thread, but it's still not here.

We are building a commercial software. This software need your great ffmpeg. At the start the software checks, if ffmpeg is still installed on the user-PC....if not it has to be installed.....so my question

can we press your official install.exe on our CD's, similar other softwares do it with AdobeReader or DirectX ?

or

do we have to link the user to your download homepage, so the user can download ffmpeg itself.

Dear admins and developer, please give me an usefull answer.

Greetings from Germany, have a nice weekend. :-)

Post Reply
'