Intel Quicksync and Nvidia Nvenc Together

Questions involving a Windows version of FFmpeg.
checkhaa

Intel Quicksync and Nvidia Nvenc Together

Post by checkhaa » Wed May 15, 2019 8:10 am

Hello,

i have a little question is it possible to use Intel Quicksync and Nvidia Nvenc together?
I have an Ubuntu Server with I7 6700k and Nvidia GTX 1080Ti and want to use the IGPU and GPU Together.
For Example:
1 Stream with Quicksync
1 Stream with Nvenc
at same time.

Thanks

at2010

Re: Intel Quicksync and Nvidia Nvenc Together

Post by at2010 » Thu May 16, 2019 3:35 am

If one is audio and one is video then probably no. But your 6700k can likely encode an audio stream near 75x (even though the aac encoder is mostly single threaded) so I'm not sure you would benefit from, say, an audio quicksync encoder.

Zeranoe's ffmpeg encoders only list hardware encoder libraries for Video. Each encoder often has different options and defaults:

Code: Select all

ffmpeg -encoders

ffmpeg -h encoder=h264_nvenc
for nvidia:
h264_nvenc
hevc_nvenc

Intel quicksync:
h264_qsv
hevc_qsv

For those out there with AMD GPUs:
h264_amf
hevc_amf

Encode example using h264_qsv, 6 channel audio AAC

ffmpeg -i "input.mkv" -map 0:v -vcodec h264_qsv -preset medium -profile main -map 0:a -acodec aac  -ac 6 -ab 384k "output.mkv
Encode example using h264_nvenc, 2 channel AAC

ffmpeg -i "input.mkv" -map 0:v -vcodec h264_nvenc -preset fast -profile high -map 0:a -acodec aac  -ac 2 -ab 192k "output.mkv"
Use the Windows Task Manager with More Details to view CPU/GPU usage during an encode.
One last thought: If you really want to max out your system, you could do 2 or more simultaneous ffmpeg encodes with each using a different GPU or CPU.

pandy

Post by pandy » Sat May 18, 2019 6:14 pm

It should be possible - both are independent HW resources thus you should follow general guidelines for multiple outputs from (i assume) single source.

BiDouiLle

Post by BiDouiLle » Fri May 24, 2019 5:16 pm

Hi,

At least you can run 2 different instances of FFmpeg, one for QSV and the other for NVENC.

Using only one input for the 2 instances can perhaps limit the performances especially if it is hosted on a harddisk and not an SSD.

Cloning the source if it's a file can be interesting if the ratio 'encoding time' / 'input cloning time' is not too high.

Regards.

Louis

'