Capturing from Decklink card broken after December 10 releases

Questions involving a Windows version of FFmpeg.
alevinsn

Re: Capturing from Decklink card broken after December 10 releases

Post by alevinsn »

BlackScreen wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:06 am
Zeranoe wrote:FFmpeg uses native threading now and does not use pthread.

I don't believe that DeckLink actually requires pthread, so I'm working on some patches to remove the dependency. I hope to have this resolved soon, but I don't have an ETA.
@Zeranoe: I think your patch got applied to FFmpeg - https://git.ffmpeg.org/gitweb/ffmpeg.gi ... 0d973ba23b.
Could this mean, that you will support Decklink again in your future builds?
Actually, that was a patch that I created. In addition, another patch has been applied recently that makes it possible to build the decklink code with Visual C++ on Windows. So, the latest code is all set for use on Windows with decklink without pthread and built with MSVC.

gfn

Post by gfn »

The latest zeranoe build (20170529-220b24c) still shows "Unknown input format: decklink"... is there anything we have to do differently to get this working again with these binaries? Has the patch been accepted into the current release branch?

alevinsn

Post by alevinsn »

gfn wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 11:42 pm
The latest zeranoe build (20170529-220b24c) still shows "Unknown input format: decklink"... is there anything we have to do differently to get this working again with these binaries? Has the patch been accepted into the current release branch?
Yes, the patch has been applied to the mainline, and it is also available in the most recent release branches, although I think Zeranoe builds from the mainline, not a particular release branch. Decklink support is disabled by default, so it is necessary to issue configure with the --enable-decklink command. I don't know how Zeranoe builds the Windows builds, but simply running ffmpeg.exe will tell you how it was built.

gfn

Post by gfn »

Ah, I see. Looks like our decklink patch has indeed been applied, but due to some ambiguous licensing language it is no longer part of the default build configuration, and therefore no longer a part of zeranoe's stock builds.

Looks like the conclusion of this thread is this, for those who are looking: If you need a zeranoe build that supports decklink, the last version to do so is the December 10, 2016 release. All subsequent zeranoe builds will no longer support decklink. If you require this functionality you will need to build ffmpeg from source yourself with the --enable-decklink flag.

larnold7

Post by larnold7 »

I was able to get Decklink support, but not in a windows build. I Tried several scripts. -enable-decklink would compile with no errors (usually), but the resulting binary could not find it.
The solution that worked was cross-compiling on Debian (testing) following generic instructions on the web, with the Debian packaged cross tools for windows, and enabling non-free. It incidentally compiled a great deal faster on Linux. go figure.

mikeversteeg

Post by mikeversteeg »

Kyle, can you please officially confirm Decklink support has been cancelled? This is a major issue for me has I have recently rewritten my code to use ffmpeg for decklink output (not input) and, after a few hours of scratching my head, now see this thread explaining why my code broke. I would like to know if this is a permanent situation, understand why the decision was made (someone mentioned legal issues?) and whether I have to either stop using your (formerly) great service, or stop using ffmpeg for decklink output altogether. Thanks!