ffmpeg not work on Windows 2000 SP4

Questions involving a Windows version of FFmpeg.
trodas

ffmpeg not work on Windows 2000 SP4

Post by trodas » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:44 am

I would like to mention, that I'm using ffmpeg to decode many wma and other audiotracks and other things. Using a 9MB big version ( FFmpeg version SVN-r16573, Copyright (c) 2000-2009 Fabrice Bellard ) I come to wma v2 audio, that this older version can't decode. So I decided to take a look at some more recent build, yet there are a problem each time I try to run almost any version of FFmpeg bilds available to download there:
http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/win32/static/

I tried these:
ffmpeg-0.7.1-win32-static.7z
ffmpeg-0.7-rc1-win32-static.7z
ffmpeg-0.8-win32-static.7z
ffmpeg-1.1.1-win32-static.7z
ffmpeg-1.1.3-win32-static.7z
ffmpeg-20130216-git-b9c5448-win32-static.7z
ffmpeg-git-1aeb88b-win32-static.7z
ffmpeg-git-41a097a-win32-static.7z
ffmpeg-git-9d4cb45-32-bit-static.7z
...yet none of them work and all of them display this error I show above, speaking that it cannot find the input connection to the procedure _aligned_free in msvcrt.dll ...

Is this a known bug? Or are there some older version of ffmpeg that will work, and decode wma v2 audio?
Thanks for the heads up ;)
Last edited by trodas on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Zeranoe
Site Admin

Re: ffmpeg not work on Windows 2000 SP4

Post by Zeranoe » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:09 am

Why on earth are you using Windows 2000?

Time for an upgrade...

trodas

Post by trodas » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:05 am

Upgrate to what? XP is almost the same (NT5.0 vs. NT5.1), just added a load of bloatware in it. XP can't even let me do this:
taskbar
...and that is my typical working situation... Show me, if you can do THIS on XP :D Since SP2, XP even have a "workaround" for hosts files block of M$ servers. OS, that did not respect even own rules are not OS at all.

Vista? Sorry, I did not want to be locked in my own machine, doing things only that way, that the Vista allow me to do so, not to mention the shocking and absolutelly obsessive hardware requirments.

Win7? Come on, this is just a Vista on diet.

So far, Win2k is the best vand most stable (on machine overclocked beyond stable limits, XP destroy itself during booting, many times beyond what is repairable... Win2k NEVER do this!) OS and there is no reason to give it up for just more junk.

So, why the simple memory allocation, looking for big chunk of continoous ram, fail?
"It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire
...just keep folding, just keep folding... :) my config - my caps

BiDouiLle

Post by BiDouiLle » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:01 pm

Well... If upgrading your OS is a problem, I recommend you to downgrade to Win NT 3.51 running on a PowerPlay.

That should be the best choice available for you :ugeek:

trodas

Post by trodas » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:45 am

Installed, yet nothing changed. Got heads up, that this is M$ changing things and that I should look out for GCC compiled FFmpeg. Others argued, that support for M$ C++ is only recently added and many libs won't work still (x264), so it might not be this case...
"It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire

ramiro

Post by ramiro » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:56 am

it's quite simple to change ffmpeg source code to make it work again in win2k, but is it really worth it? there's you and compn using it: not an amazing userbase. that's like using linux kernel 2.2.

if you're so hardcore to the point of still using win2k I'd expect you wouldn't mind making a build environment to build yourself your own ffmpeg.

trodas

Post by trodas » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:17 am

Well, if it is simple change, then it might be good to be done, just for the sake of getting the record right. It says that FFmpeg should work on W2k and it does not. Sadly.

I just looking for something that can decode, preferably even damaged, wma v2 audio, as your old build cannot. I have no idea if this one can, but I would like to try it. I'm not a programmer, tough. Making my own FFmpeg build is next to impossible for me... I really have no programming skills, not to mention lack of the required compilers or/and the skill to use them. Also good question is, if they will work on W2k :)

The video, from witch I want to grab the audio is there:
http://www.moonfaker.com/videos4mirror/ ... ot.wmv.zip

The pure audio clip (VirtualDub save raw audio) is there:
http://ulozto.cz/xXNaEWs/re-moon-hoax-not-bin

My main point is to show the autor, how badly he cranked up the volume (what happen to the 89dB standard?) and how much better it would sound (no clipping when properly done) when the audio get normalized :oops:

But if this is not too much to ask, I would gladly test some night build, if it will work well on W2k.

bat999

Post by bat999 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:45 am

trodas wrote:... I just looking for something that can decode, preferably even damaged, wma v2 audio, as your old build cannot...
Hi
If you're not ready to upgrade your operating system just yet...
you can boot from Ubuntu-12.04 live CD ---> http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop
Then install FFmpeg like this:-

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install ffmpeg
And extract the audio:-

Code: Select all

ffmpeg -i "Re Moon Hoax Not.wmv" Re_Moon_Hoax_Not.flac
Last edited by bat999 on Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

trodas

Post by trodas » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:29 pm

Okay, I give the Unbuntu CD a try in the live mode... Meanwhile I took the lastest build:
http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/win32/static/
http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/win32/ ... -static.7z

...and run it thru the Dependancy Walker: http://www.dependencywalker.com

There is the result:

Also uploaded the DependancyWalker output with this post, hope this helps.

PS. over on Doom9 forum was this information posted:
"The old, original mingw project used to not have any dependencies that would limit the binary for WinXP+, but unfortunately that project in general as of late has gone more or less downhill. Zeranoe, and many others, including me, use the fork of mingw that is quite active, called mingw-w64. This fork, as far as I know, has not only started further fixing and developing the for-windows toolchain system, but also taken use of things only available on XP and newer Windows versions. Support for pre-XP Windows systems was thrown away quite some time ago as far as I know.

In any case, if you would want to build a Windows 2000 compatible ffmpeg, it might still be possible if you use a toolchain based on the original mingw project, but you might have to put some effort into it . That is, if the ffmpeg project itself hasn't decided that it wants to use features found in currently supported Windows versions by default. In that case you'd either have to disable that functionality, work around it, or just see when that change was incorporated, and revert to the commit previous to that."
Attachments
ffmpeg_dependancywalker.zip
FFmpeg output from DependancyWalker on W2k
(153.78 KiB) Downloaded 176 times

'