Static .lib compile of lbav

Questions that occur when trying to compile FFmpeg.
JWellington

Static .lib compile of lbav

Post by JWellington »

Greetings,

I have been a longtime lurker of these forums, and I thank the maintainer for his help throughout. Working with FFMPEG and libavcodec with windows is an absolute terror, yet someone manages to help make it bearable.

Anyway, I would like to request some help.
Two questions :

1. Would it be possible for you to include static compiles of libavcodec in your Builds page?
I ask this because I prefer/need to have a MSVC linkable .lib to work with my project; DLLs will not do :-\ I notice you have every build configuration except that one.

2. Since i did not see the above, I downloaded your script and compiled MingW 64 (I want both 32 and 64 versions of libavcodec). I compiled it fine. The problem comes with linking to MSVC. I get some unresolvable linking errors with the .libs when I try to link them.

I linked to the following
libavcodec
libavformat
libswscale
libavfilter
libgcc
libmingwex
libws_2 (or something like that)
libmingw32 (or something like that)

Example of the top of my head of the errors:
unresolved reference to __get_imagebase

I am currently trying a clean recompile of MingW and FFMPEG and will try again. I will add more information when it is done to hopefully help me resolve this.

Indefatigable Thanks!
Wellington

Zeranoe
Site Admin

Re: Static .lib compile of lbav

Post by Zeranoe »

Thank you for the kind words.

Did you check out the dev packages? The come with .lib files.

If you need any help getting FFmpeg compiled, just ask.

JWellington

Post by JWellington »

Greetings Zeranoe,
I did check out the dev package. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the .lib package is just a stub lib for the dynamic library (dll) can they be used statically instead of dynamically?

XiaoBo

Post by XiaoBo »

I have the same problem,anybody can give the static lib solutionn ?

rogerdpack

Post by rogerdpack »

I would also benefit from (Dev Static) builds.
Assuming anybody can get them working/running. Has anybody tried it with success?
-roger-

JWellington

Post by JWellington »

Just to update, I never actually got it working. It could compile fine in Ubuntu, but I couldn't get the mingw libs to play nice with MSVC....

JWellington

Post by JWellington »

Just to update, I never actually got it working. It could compile fine in Ubuntu, but I couldn't get the mingw libs to play nice with MSVC....

DonMoir

Post by DonMoir »

Your builds save me time and it would be great if you would provide the static link libs as well. As it stands, I will have to build them myself and would rather not spend time on it. You are already building a static link version of ffplay.exe etc. You have the objs and lib = collection of objs in the static link case. The static libs should parallel what you do for dll libs. I would be willing to donate for the cause.

Zeranoe
Site Admin

Post by Zeranoe »

DonMoir wrote:Your builds save me time and it would be great if you would provide the static link libs as well. As it stands, I will have to build them myself and would rather not spend time on it. You are already building a static link version of ffplay.exe etc. You have the objs and lib = collection of objs in the static link case. The static libs should parallel what you do for dll libs. I would be willing to donate for the cause.
I'm a bit confused, what are you reffering to the "libs"? The .lib files, the .dll.a files, or the .dll files?

I'm not aware of a more static way to create the .lib files, but there might be?

If I supplied the .def files, you could create your own .lib files, would that help?

JWellington

Post by JWellington »

Hey Zeranoe. Can you show us how? I haven't ever used .defs before. Can you make a fully static .lib with that? (No DLLs)