Adding NewTek NDI Support to Zeranoe Build

Website, builds, or other suggestions.
jules43

Adding NewTek NDI Support to Zeranoe Build

Post by jules43 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:43 am

As of the 3.4 release of FFmpeg, NDI network video transport solution has been added to FFmpeg:
https://www.newtek.com/blog/ffmpeg-3-4-adds-ndi-io/

@zeranoe Do you have any plans to add this to the Windows builds?

Or, does anyone have any tips for building it in? I'm currently using the media-autobuild_suite when I need to do custom builds.

Thanks

Jules

BlackScreen

Re: Adding NewTek NDI Support to Zeranoe Build

Post by BlackScreen » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:05 pm

Thanks for suggesting this here - I just wanted to write the same thing. :lol:

jules43

Post by jules43 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:22 am

I posted a question about this and whether they would need to supply GCC libs on the NewTek Forum and they said:

Actually, I do not think that to use the FFMPEG version of NDI you need any kind of support for MSVC. If I remember correctly they implemented it using dynamic binding (i.e. LoadLibrary) which means that they should be able to include it as part of the standard builds. Whats more, we released our SDK header files under the MIT license so that they can even be included in the FFMPEG source code if they want to facilitate building. If someone wants to work with us on this, just have them email [email protected] and we'll help make this happen.

Zeranoe
Site Admin

Post by Zeranoe » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:04 pm

The NewTek SDK is nonfree and cannot be include in a public FFmpeg build.

DWAM

Post by DWAM » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:24 pm

Hi!

I'm very concerned by the implementation of NDI in Windows 64 Bits builds.
After I read this thread, I contacted guys I know at Newtek to report this situation and asking for accurate information about the licensing issue.
As I thought, they told me there's nothing preventing NDI to be included in FFMPEG. The SDK is free to download and use.

I can provide contact information at Newtek if you want me to Zeranoe. Just let me know.

Zeranoe
Site Admin

Post by Zeranoe » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:02 pm

FFmpeg has deemed this library nonfree so it cannot be included in a public GPL build.

You can read the thread here: https://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-dev ... 25347.html

DWAM

Post by DWAM » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:39 pm

Yeah I had more information on this issue too meanwhile.

Here's what one of the Newtek's exec replied to me :
"OBS had similar issues. So instead of including the NDI library directly with OBS It was developed as a separate plug-in. I would think the same could be done for FFMPEG. They build in support and you download and install the NDI library separately."

Do you think something like that could be done ?

FYI, here's the link for this OBS NDI library
https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/ ... tudio.528/

Adjc

Post by Adjc » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:56 pm

I might be able to contribute to this discussion and hopefully help get this done. All of the header files that are part of NDI have been placed under the MIT license so that they may be freely used in open source projects. The one thing that is less than perfect in the current FFMPEG NDI implementation is that it does not use dynamic loading which would mean that you do not require any downloads at all from us to build; this is something that I will try to find a few minutes to write and contribute to ffmpeg. This approach is identical to how support for NVEnc (etc...) is handled.

Andrew