"Official" builds?

Website, builds, or other suggestions.
Eddmund

Re: "Official" builds?

Post by Eddmund » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:16 am

rogerdpack wrote:why exactly would you prefer 1.0 release when it's basically an older, possibly more buggy, snapshot?
Because it's a stable, less buggy release meant to use for production purposes, rather than a potentially buggy, unfinished development snapshot meant to only be tried out by developers. C'mon - the 1.0 release is not "old" - it just has been released on 28 September 2012. From the official website: "It contains all features and bugfixes of the git master branch."

It is quiet normal to use release versions of a software - that's the case for every existing serious software - FFmpeg for Windows seems to be the only exception.

On this forum, several other people have asked for stable release builds in the past - for example here and here. I searched the internet to find out that there is no current stable version of FFmpeg for Windows available at all - quite strange. Zeranoe's build could be the first - it would help lots of people. Even he stated
Zeranoe wrote:Please keep in mind that the releases are always more stable than the latest git.
rogerdpack, if you are happy with git dev snapshots, that's fine, but please accept others that prefer release builds. Thanks.

rogerdpack

Post by rogerdpack » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:38 pm

I suppose I am mostly basing my thinking off what I hear on the ffmpeg-user list, for instance:

http://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-user ... 03451.html

(they seem to recommend git master for "almost everybody"). That being said, sometimes git master has a bug or 2 that are present temporarily, so...it's almost like pick your poison (but I believe the 1.0 release git branch contains bug fixes up to when 1.0 was released, and not since it--basically it gets security fixes only, AFAIK--they don't backport bug fixes--that's why they recommend you use git master I'm guessing).

anyway, here is my shot at it (coming soon...tomorrow morning-ish...the old ones I posted were broken...)

Eddmund

Post by Eddmund » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:13 pm

Thank you rogerdpack! Having a static build of release 1.0 is a good start, maybe Zeranoe also makes one of his excellent shared builds of 1.0.

rogerdpack

Post by rogerdpack » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:25 pm

Here's their latest word on 1.0 bug fixes:
http://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-user ... 11614.html

I'll work on a shared build sometime.

Zeranoe
Site Admin

Post by Zeranoe » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:23 pm

Eddmund wrote:
rogerdpack wrote:why exactly would you prefer 1.0 release when it's basically an older, possibly more buggy, snapshot?
Because it's a stable, less buggy release meant to use for production purposes, rather than a potentially buggy, unfinished development snapshot meant to only be tried out by developers. C'mon - the 1.0 release is not "old" - it just has been released on 28 September 2012. From the official website: "It contains all features and bugfixes of the git master branch."

It is quiet normal to use release versions of a software - that's the case for every existing serious software - FFmpeg for Windows seems to be the only exception.

On this forum, several other people have asked for stable release builds in the past - for example here and here. I searched the internet to find out that there is no current stable version of FFmpeg for Windows available at all - quite strange. Zeranoe's build could be the first - it would help lots of people. Even he stated
Zeranoe wrote:Please keep in mind that the releases are always more stable than the latest git.
rogerdpack, if you are happy with git dev snapshots, that's fine, but please accept others that prefer release builds. Thanks.
I don't think there is any evidence that supports the claim that the release builds are more stable. In fact, almost all the official information you will find says the exact opposite.

I understand that the release builds may seem more stable, but in my experience they aren't.

rogerdpack

Post by rogerdpack » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:05 am

Ok added a link to 'shared' 1.0

Eddmund

2.0.x

Post by Eddmund » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:03 pm

Now where FFmpeg 2.0.x is the latest official version series (currently at 2.0.1), it would be great to see a Zeranoe build of it.

Zefman

Post by Zefman » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:12 am

How can I get ffmpeg 0.9.x, 0.10.x builds for Windows to use it with pjsip (pjsip.org)?
Newer versions has no avformatparameters struct and at least 2 functions:
- _av_open_input_stream referenced in function _ffmpeg_capture_open
- _av_close_input_stream referenced in function _ffmpeg_capture_close
. Thanks in advance.

'