frequent updates for x265, please

Website, builds, or other suggestions.
pcordes

frequent updates for x265, please

Post by pcordes » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:42 am

If you have the compile time and disk space available, it'd be really cool if there was at least one flavor of daily build that included x265 devel branch from the same day.

x265 is making rapid progress ATM, nowhere near mature yet. I guess you're tracking their stable branch?

It's been a month since the stable 1.4 tag in the hg repo, and already there are 200 commits, many of them bugfixes and rd-improvments. Also lots of AVX2 asm improvements, for people with Haswell CPUs.

When I encode stuff, I tend to re-watch it, to make sure I don't need to spend more bitrate to make it look good, so I tend to use the latest git / hg HEAD of x264, x265, ffmpeg, and libopus (on my linux machine). Since I'd notice any problems that were too glaringly obvious, and be able to report them.

So there are good arguments for keeping x265 on stable versions, since who knows what bugs might be present in the current head on any given day, with it still undergoing major changes like re-factoring big chunks of code and trying to improve the tuning of its decision-making. (rather than just speeding without changing the output.)

Anyway, any thoughts on making nightly builds of x265, maybe as a shared lib so it could be dropped in on top of a shared-lib ffmpeg build? nvm, they're still changing the library ABI. current hg HEAD is 5 ABI revs ahead of stable. Ok, then thoughts on making any kind of with x265 devel?

pcordes

Re: frequent updates for x265, please

Post by pcordes » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:19 am

Ended up using https://github.com/rdp/ffmpeg-windows-build-helpers to build my own ffmpeg. Takes a LONG time, but almost all of it unattended. Still, it's a huge amount of disk space and download just to make a 30M exe.

cross-compile_ffmpeg.sh -h shows options.

svnpenn

Post by svnpenn » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:28 am

pcordes wrote:Takes a LONG time, but almost all of it unattended. Still, it's
a huge amount of disk space and download just to make a 30M exe.
FFmpeg is open source. If you do not like the speed of his releases, then build
it yourself. Kyle pays for these forums and for the hosting of the Windows
builds. For you to come here and demand anything, even nicely, is appalling.

What are you offering if he does increase the deployments? Thats right, nothing.
All you are really offering is increased obligation for Kyle if he accepts, or
guilt trip if he does not. Get out.

And yes I do build mine, so dont even go there.

install-ffmpeg.sh

CalmDownDude

Post by CalmDownDude » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:49 am

svnpenn wrote:For you to come here and demand anything, even nicely, is appalling.

What are you offering if he does increase the deployments? Thats right, nothing.
All you are really offering is increased obligation for Kyle if he accepts, or
guilt trip if he does not. Get out.

And yes I do build mine, so dont even go there.
I visited this forum for the first time today, but when I saw your post, I registered this account for the sole purpose of telling you to calm down dude. This is the suggestions forum, he was giving a suggestion.

svnpenn

Post by svnpenn » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:06 am

CalmDownDude wrote:This is the suggestions forum, he was giving a suggestion.
Wrong. I have dealt with people like him before, they are
help vampires. They take and take and give nothing.
After a while it wears a person down.

Notice carefully his "suggestion" is really a tacit demand, with the
consequences I suggested already. his kind is not welcome here, and frankly
neither is yours.

CalmDownDude

Post by CalmDownDude » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:18 am

Yes, I'm definitely picking up that this is not a welcoming place. Your attitude to newcomers and assistance seekers isn't welcome either, just so you know we're on the same page.

Would you care to enlighten us poor misguided souls about what the purpose of the Build Suggestions forum is? I thought it was for making build suggestions, such as asking for a library to be updated as pcordes has just done, and as Zeranoe has accommodated in the past, but obviously I was mistaken.

llogan

Post by llogan » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:53 pm

CalmDownDude wrote:I thought it was for making build suggestions, such as asking for a library to be updated as pcordes has just done
That's what this section is for.

Please ignore the resident troll.

mapg

Post by mapg » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:37 am

I agree. x265 is being developed very quickly and should be updated more frequently if possible. Many bug fixes and new features are added between stable releases (1.2.0, 1.3.0, 1.4.0 and etcetera).

UPDATE: I have compiled ffmpeg manually adding the latest version of x265, and certainly I can certify that you are right pcordes, those 219 new commits added to x265 1.4.219, since the release of stable version (1.4.0) are providing better encoding in terms of image quality, and I can say that in terms of speed too (from 2 to 3 fps faster).

Kind regards,
Mapg

Zeranoe
Site Admin

Post by Zeranoe » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:51 am

The public builds are meant to be as stable as possible

The builds used to include a git version of x265, but the bugs that where brought on with including it made me switch back to the stable release. Perhaps things are different now, but it was becoming far too much work to keep up with the development branch when each git pull would break something new.

I will probably try the git version again when things calm down a little, but right now I feel x265 is more of a proof of concept than anything else.

llogan

Post by llogan » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:34 pm

Zeranoe wrote:I will probably try the git version again when things calm down a little, but right now I feel x265 is more of a proof of concept than anything else.
IIRC, it's not worth using yet except in very low bitrates where both x264 and x265 will look bad, but x265 perhaps a little less. But the encoding time will take until 2045 since you'll probably have use placebo preset, max refs, max bframes.

'