How to use Zeranoe & Intel QuickSync in Shotcut video editor

Announcements made by users.
brozkeff

How to use Zeranoe & Intel QuickSync in Shotcut video editor

Post by brozkeff » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:35 am

Hello,
some time ago I tried to push Zeranoe ffmpeg builds to an open source video editor Shotcut to support encoding of h264, h265 etc using Intel Quicksync on newer Intel integrated GPUs. It worked nicely on Windows 10 with Intel i5 Ivy Bridge laptop CPU (Intel HD 4000) for h264 and on Intel i5 Skylake desktop CPU (Intel HD 530) for both 264 and h265 using at that time latest stable build 3.4:

https://www.brozkeff.net/2017/11/12/how ... quicksync/

As Marann K recently commented, also the newer 4.0 builds still work correctly. Basically the job is to replace the Windows dll files from the Shotcut distribution with those from the Zeranoe builds and creating a custom rendering profile using the new h264_qsv or h265_qsv format, and tweaking a bit the additional commands for the rendering.

Especially on the older CPUs the speed difference of SW encoding via CPU using x264 vs HW encoding using Quicksync is very significant and the replacing the library is worth the effort.

NyellBarnet

Re: How to use Zeranoe & Intel QuickSync in Shotcut video editor

Post by NyellBarnet » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:38 am

brozkeff wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:35 am
Hello,
some time ago I tried to push Zeranoe ffmpeg builds to an open source video editor Shotcut to support encoding of h264, h265 etc using Intel Quicksync on newer Intel integrated GPUs. It worked nicely on ARY Telefilms Windows 10 with Intel i5 Ivy Bridge laptop CPU (Intel HD 4000) for h264 and on Intel i5 Skylake desktop CPU (Intel HD 530) for both 264 and h265 using at that time latest stable build 3.4:

https://www.brozkeff.net/2017/11/12/how ... quicksync/

As Marann K recently commented, also the newer 4.0 builds still work correctly. Basically the job is to replace the Windows dll files from the Shotcut distribution with those from the Zeranoe builds and creating a custom rendering profile using the new h264_qsv or h265_qsv format, and tweaking a bit the additional commands for the rendering.

Especially on the older CPUs the speed difference of SW encoding via CPU using x264 vs HW encoding using Quicksync is very significant and the replacing the library is worth the effort.
Thanks for the information!