nodejs app for streaming video using ffmpeg

Examples and samples for those who develop software with FFmpeg.
kevinGodell

nodejs app for streaming video using ffmpeg

Post by kevinGodell » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:40 pm

Hi. I am new to the forum, but have been a user of zeranoe's ffmpeg binaries for about a year. Big thanks for the compiled releases. I just tried compiling one on windows yesterday and it took about 3 hours!

Getting to the point, for the last few weeks, I have been working on a new project that uses ffmpeg to connect to video sources and stream them to the browser. Check out my released binary executable nodejs app ffmpeg-streamer if you want to see it in action.

Download, extract, run, go to localhost:8181 and use the gui in your favorite modern browser(ie not supported). It will detect if ffmpeg is on the computer and will prompt you to automatically download it if not found. See more details in the readme file at the github repo.

Supported input video types are rtsp, mp4, hls, and mjpeg. Output videos to browser are mjpeg, jpeg over socket.io, progressive mp4(not compatible with safari), hls.js, native hls(safari only), and my own personal media source extension player that uses socket.io to retrieve the fragmented mp4 pieces.

Let me know what you think.

*Edit just got it online on a test server sponsored by Shinobi CCTV