License in commercial closed sourced program

For the developers that use FFmpeg in their software.
voskyc

License in commercial closed sourced program

Post by voskyc »

As far as I've read the following it is correct (please, correct me if anything is wrong).

1)We are using FFmepg like an stand alone exe.
2)We are accessing it via command line (c++ program + command line ->ffmepg).
3)We have NOT modified that .exe (just downloaded from the page).

If am correct in this hiphosthesis, we (our program that use FFmepg) should not have to add to LGPL O GPL license.

Is that correct?

Please let me know any doubt that i will answer inmeditably.

Thanks in advance.

rogerdpack

Re: License in commercial closed sourced program

Post by rogerdpack »

voskyc

Post by voskyc »

rogerdpack wrote:http://ffmpeg.org/legal.html may be helpful
Thanks.
Yep, I've red it, and that was the problem that bring my doubt.

I've used previously GPL/LGPL libreries, and that is why the 3 steps that I wrote was clear that I was not attached to GPL/LPGL.

However reading through that page, bring me a lot of doubts, specially the check list.

That is why i make the question :-).

rogerdpack

Post by rogerdpack »

In general I believe the principle is that if FFmpeg is compiled without "--enable-gpl" then you can distribute it as a stand-alone executable and basically not affect your own licenses (the zeranoe builds are not). However IANAL. Suggest consult a lawyer.

ramiro

Post by ramiro »

if you ship ffmpeg.exe you must make the exact source code available (it doesn't matter if you modified it or not, you still have to supply source code). your program doesn't have to be (L)GPL.

voskyc

Post by voskyc »

ramiro wrote:if you ship ffmpeg.exe you must make the exact source code available (it doesn't matter if you modified it or not, you still have to supply source code). your program doesn't have to be (L)GPL.
Thank you very much.

Just to be sure (I'm not native english) you mean the FFMPEG.exe source code, not my program source code right?

Thanks again.

ramiro

Post by ramiro »

yes, and any external (L)GPL library that's built into ffmpeg.exe

taansari

Post by taansari »

ramiro wrote:yes, and any external (L)GPL library that's built into ffmpeg.exe
This is a very information thread, thank you for creating it!

I have a similar question, and I think it is better to ask here, than create a new thread just for the same purpose:

Suppose my application uses the FFmpeg dlls, and I am basically building my app on top of that. Original builds compiled and available link against many libs, including libx264 (which requires licensing).

When I make my application, I will be supplying all dlls; what else do I need to include? Having LGPL means I will need to include 'my' source code as well?

Can you please share expert opinion about this specific case? (since my case is different than that of original poster, as I am not going to use ffmpeg.exe, I will be using dev builds available here)

rogerdpack

Post by rogerdpack »

Ok general concensus seems to be that if you just package ffmpeg.exe, and just call through to its command line interface, then it doesn't affect your own program's license (well, except possibly MPEG LA licensing, which is a completely different story altogether).
taansari wrote:
Suppose my application uses the FFmpeg dlls, and I am basically building my app on top of that. Original builds compiled and available link against many libs, including libx264 (which requires licensing).

When I make my application, I will be supplying all dlls; what else do I need to include? Having LGPL means I will need to include 'my' source code as well?

Can you please share expert opinion about this specific case? (since my case is different than that of original poster, as I am not going to use ffmpeg.exe, I will be using dev builds available here)
You could ask a lawyer, my guess is that if you use the dll's, you'll need to LGPL (and make publically available) whatever of your own source code is used in that program that ends up using those dll's.

taansari

Post by taansari »

rogerdpack wrote:Ok general concensus seems to be that if you just package ffmpeg.exe, and just call through to its command line interface, then it doesn't affect your own program's license (well, except possibly MPEG LA licensing, which is a completely different story altogether).
taansari wrote:

You could ask a lawyer, my guess is that if you use the dll's, you'll need to LGPL (and make publically available) whatever of your own source code is used in that program that ends up using those dll's.
Something I would like to understand: laws each area wise would be different, like so in Sri Lanka, NewZealand, Canada, so we need to ask a lawyer of our origin only...?