Build an AVFrame manually

For the developers that use FFmpeg in their software.
skident

Build an AVFrame manually

Post by skident » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:15 am

Hello everyone,

I have a WAV file (Stereo, 11025 Hz, 32 bit float) and I want to apply some audio filters on the fly.
So, I open the file (skip a header) and read, for example, 1000 bytes into a buffer.

Then I try to convert such buffer into an AVFrame, but I haven't found any appropriate description which provides a clear instructions how to do it.

Here is my last attempting to do it (I used a similar approach as in function get_input() in this example https://github.com/FFmpeg/FFmpeg/blob/m ... er_audio.c)

Code: Select all

void buffer_to_frame(const std::vector<char>& in_buffer, AVFrame* frame)
{
    float* src = (float*)in_buffer.data();
    float* dst_channel1 = (float*)frame->data[0];
    float* dst_channel2 = (float*)frame->data[1];

for (int i = 0, j = 0; i < frame->nb_samples; i++, j += 2)
    {
        dst_channel1[i] = src[j];
        dst_channel2[i] = src[j+1];
    }
}
After filtering I get a quite different AVFrame (with only one plane 1) and after conversion such frame back into a buffer I got a noise into my headphones.

So, my question is next:
Does anybody know how to convert a raw audio buffer into a AVFrame and vice-versa without using AVPacket and Codecs.

Hellopoplar

Re: Build an AVFrame manually

Post by Hellopoplar » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:04 am

It is ok of your code. But after put raw pcm to AVFrame, you need set frame's properties:
1. you should set AVFrame's format field, in your case, it should be AV_SAMPLE_FMT_FLTP (float planar data);
2. channel layout, channel number will be calculated via channel layout, and if you don't know channel layout, just leave it default and set channel number, in your case 2;
3. samplerate;

richardpl

Re: Build an AVFrame manually

Post by richardpl » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:01 am

If you use libavfilter, you can call av_frame_get_buffer()
You first need to allocate AVFrame with function from libavutil and set some parameters in newly allocated AVFrame, as explained in doxy.
The function to allocate AVFrame is av_frame_alloc().

'