Videos too damaged?

Any other question that don't fit into the other support categorizes.
Cheesybox

Videos too damaged?

Post by Cheesybox » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:19 am

Hey all, first time poster, so sorry if this is supposed to be in another section.

This is less of a FFmpeg specific question, and more a couple of broader questions:

The tl;dr version is a had a couple videos on my old phone that were deleted that I want to try to get working again. The 3 I was looking for specifically I believe I found, but unfortunately they're not all instantly playable. 2 of them don't work at all, and one of them is in pretty bad shape, with a good third of it not playing/being a still image that's all warped. Managed to pull some salvageable images from that one, plus some audio.
The other 2 that won't play however, I can't pull anything from, despite them being bigger than the first one that does "work" ("working" one is 3900kb, the other two are 5119kb and 6002kb).

Code: Select all

ffmpeg -i inputfile.avi -r 1 -f image2 image-%3d.jpeg
Tried this on the "working" one and got a huge number of "Buffer is too small for the claimed bitrate" and "Frame #XXXX, IFQ: Bitrate cannot be determined" (I'm assuming this means there's no information on that frame, remember, I pulled these as deleted files off a phone). The 2 nonworking ones gave me this error:

Code: Select all

[mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 @ 0000000002ae82e0] Format mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 detected only with low score of 1, misdetection possible!
[mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 @ 0000000002ae82e0] moov atom not found
video2.3g2: Invalid data found when processing input
So after explaining all that, I come to my main questions:
Are these files too damaged? They have sizes, which makes me think there has to be some video/audio in there (unless it's all been overwritten?)
If so would another recovery program possibly give better results?

Sorry this is an odd situation and a possibly complicated problem to solve. I greatly appreciate any help in advance <3

Cheesybox

Re: Videos too damaged?

Post by Cheesybox » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:50 am

Been a couple days, managed to get it kind of working. Found a program that takes a reference video from the same device and (I'm assuming) uses that to create new atoms to get it working. Downside though, still no audio. Another downside, it's not free to get the full video working (it's half length on the free version)
I heard there's a way to fix the "cannot find atom" problem, though it looks like it involves some C++ and that's something I know nothing about

'