Possible to use directshow device in two ffmpeg instances?

Any other question that don't fit into the other support categorizes.
speaker219

Possible to use directshow device in two ffmpeg instances?

Post by speaker219 »

This may not be 100% ffmpeg-related (although I'm not sure whether or not there'd be a solution within ffmpeg for this) but I figure it's the best place to ask.

Basically, I am using ffmpeg to stream from a directshow device (Blackmagic Intensity card). I planned on running two ffmpeg instances, one for a "high quality" stream and one for a "low quality" stream -- forgot that the directshow device can only be opened in one ffmpeg instance.

Does anyone know of any possible solutions that would allow me to create two seperate streams from a single directshow input device? Perhaps some way to pipe the output from the card to two ffmpeg instances?

Thank you.

rogerdpack

Re: Possible to use directshow device in two ffmpeg instance

Post by rogerdpack »

maybe one ffmpeg instance to 2 outputs?
http://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/wiki/Crea ... %20outputs

Zeranoe
Site Admin

Post by Zeranoe »

As far as I know it can't. Why not save the high quality output and then re-encode after the recoding has finished, into a "low quality" copy?

metalhead82

Post by metalhead82 »

Just stumbled across this forum and created an account.
So much useful stuff in here... :)

I'm interested in this, too.
Would this be possible with a workaround?

Like Capturing to a short video, which is constantly overwritten and which could then be accesssed/transcoded by other instances of FFmpeg (similar to streaming but with MUCH HIGHER bandwidth)

I need to be able to do this because I want to do some 24/7 capturing - resulting in clips of 1hour length without dropping up to 2 seconds of material until the encoder is finished and then restarted.

Another idea would be to use segmentation. But I would have the same problem once every day.
(There has to be a folder for each day's segments)

I used AmeRecTV but it freezes the output stream like every 3 hours or so... unfortunately not usable for 24/7 capturing...

Hope you understand what I mean...

Greetz.

speaker219

Post by speaker219 »

Zeranoe wrote:As far as I know it can't. Why not save the high quality output and then re-encode after the recoding has finished, into a "low quality" copy?
I'm encoding from a DirectShow source for a live stream (to an RTMP server) -- so this wouldn't work unfortunately.

I suppose I could have ffmpeg encode to a file, then run one instances that uses -vcodec copy -acodec copy and sends to the server, and then another instance to re-encode and SD copy, but I was wondering if there was a way to do this with a single instance.

Zeranoe
Site Admin

Post by Zeranoe »

Have you tried the two output methods that Roger posted? http://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/wiki/Crea ... %20outputs