avisynth scripts fail to load in ffmpeg

Issues involving a Windows version of FFmpeg. Do not post general usage questions here.

Re: avisynth scripts fail to load in ffmpeg

Postby qyot27 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:57 am

Zarxrax wrote:Tried that build, tried elevated command prompt, didn't help.

Then I tried upgrading avisynth from 2.5.8 to the latest 2.6 alpha 4.
Now it runs, seems that was the issue. What could be causing that incompatibility though?

That's strange, because during the testing phase for the patch, I saw 2.5.8 working correctly (I can't usually be bothered to go back to 2.5.8 because I end up getting 'Ran out of memory' errors, and that's in everything, not just ffmpeg - when 2.5.8 was my main use version, I never had any problems...I blame plugin updates or something). Although testing it with 2.5.8 now, I can reproduce this. And I have no idea why it's doing that, although now that I've searched a bit more I have seen other threads that mentioned this sort of problem occurring with 2.5.8. No solution was found then, either. So unfortunately I'm not sure of what a proper explanation of it should be.
qyot27

Postby rogerdpack » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:39 pm

qyot27 wrote:That MSVC build I mentioned earlier:
http://www.mediafire.com/?mlvrf50av3yuaoo

But as it seems, it may be just be a UAC issue at its heart (and who knows, maybe MSVC builds can correctly deal with UAC without additional finagling). As to why the old demuxer could handle it fine, I'm guessing it probably has something to do with the way FFmpeg accessed Video for Windows (or VfW is somehow exempt from UAC stuff). The new demuxer basically does the same thing that x264 does, so if x264 can run scripts when it's not elevated, then it's really in the user privileges that would be where the real issue lies, rather than exclusively in the AviSynth demuxer.

I thought the new demuxer wasn't actually committed yet? Did the failure start occurring with a particular ffmpeg version?
rogerdpack

Postby qyot27 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:17 pm

qyot27

Postby rogerdpack » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:45 pm

I'd suggest creating a trac entry for it (preferably with a small reproducible test case...)
-r
rogerdpack

Postby qyot27 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:15 am

In reading a bit more about this DllMain issue overall, I think I might know where the issue lies in the libavformat demuxer, because x264's AviSynth input doesn't exhibit this problem with 2.5.8. I'll have to test a bit and see.

I'm guessing that in 2.6, there's some additional checks which protect against using the library in the way that libavformat is, and the reason it doesn't show up on Linux or OSX is because AvxSynth (which is based on 2.5.8) either adopted 2.6's methodology on this issue, or because dlopen() doesn't work the same way LoadLibrary() does and avoids the issue completely.
qyot27

Postby barndawgie » Fri May 03, 2013 1:19 am

I was able to fix this issue by upgrading to AviSynth 2.6 alpha (from released build 2.58).

Thanks!
Josh
barndawgie

Postby qyot27 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:08 am

As an update, using AviSynth 2.5.8 with ffmpeg was fixed on the 17th.
qyot27

Previous

Return to Usage Issues